This job is no longer accepting applications.
Vector Atomic is hiring Laser Scientists to build ultraprecise quantum devices for applications including autonomous/GPS-free navigation, high-bandwidth satellite communications, and geophysical exploration. In this hands-on role, you will be responsible for conceptual laser system design, hardware prototyping, system integration, performance evaluation, and deployment. We are seeking strong individual contributors that take ownership of their work while supporting overall team goals. Our rapidly growing team of 35 brings an innovative but practical approach to developing quantum devices. If you'd like to work on transformational technologies in a dynamic, team-oriented environment, come join our team!
What You'll Do
- Develop custom lasers and laser systems from concept through integration
- Design spool plates for CW and mode locked laser systems; assemble systems
- Characterize and de-bug laser systems with challenging specifications for linewidth, power stability, modulation characteristics, and frequency and power stability
- Integrate laser systems with atomic clocks and inertial sensors; support testing and de-bug of the overall system
- Build high-tolerance optical assemblies using precision motion stages and active-alignment
- PhD in atomic, optical, quantum physics, or related field
- US citizenship or Permanent Residency (Green Card) required by US export control laws
Hands-on expertise with several of the following:
- CW diode-pumped solid state (DPSS) laser development
- Fiber laser systems; spooling and spool plate design
- Semiconductor lasers and amplifiers
- Optics, fiber optics, electro/acousto-optics, detectors
- Nonlinear optics for second harmonic and/or supercontinuum generation
- Narrow linewidth lasers and laser frequency stabilization
- Micro-optics and integrated photonics
- Fiber fusion splicing (PM, specialty, and small core fibers)
- Optical metrology, interferometry, and precision measurements
This position requires more than 80% onsite work. Vector Atomic adheres to all state and local ordinances regarding COVID-19 safety protocols.
Vector Atomic values teamwork, open and honest discourse, and work-life balance. We are an employee-owned company with competitive compensation and benefits including:
- Platinum-level family health coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Health and dependent care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Employer 401(k) contributions
- 20 days of paid time off / 10 paid holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Stock ownership plan
- Fully stocked kitchen
Vector Atomic is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by law.
Vector Atomic does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third-party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers or HR team.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Quantum sensors for navigation, telecommunications, and geophysical exploration