Photonics Packaging Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Vector Atomic is hiring Photonics Packaging Engineers to build ultraprecise quantum devices for applications including autonomous/GPS-free navigation, high-bandwidth satellite communications, and geophysical exploration. In this hands-on role, you will be responsible for taking novel photonic integrated circuits (PICs) from prototype to telecom-grade package. We are seeking strong individual contributors that take ownership of their work while supporting overall team goals. Our rapidly growing team of 35 brings an innovative but practical approach to developing quantum devices. If you'd like to work on transformational technologies in a dynamic, team-oriented environment, come join our team!
What You'll Do
- Package photonic integrated circuits into environmentally robust (thermal, mechanical, etc.) fiber modules
- Design for manufacturability; automated assembly and characterization
- Design, prototype, and build custom PIC modules; develop/source components
- Align and characterize prototype PICs spanning wavelengths from 400-1600 nm
- BS in optical engineering (MS/PhD preferred) or a related field + 2 years of relevant experience
- US citizenship or Permanent Residency (Green Card) required by US export control laws
Hands-on expertise with several of the following:
- Low-loss fiber attach and free-space coupling to PICs
- Telcordia-level packaging for environmental robustness (thermal, mechanical, etc.)
- Micro-optic design and assembly
- Polarization optics (Waveplates, polarizers, PM fibers)
- Optical metrology and beam characterization (Photodetectors, beam profilers, polarimeters)
- Automated assembly and characterization; design for manufacturability
- Component/package selection and sourcing
This position requires more than 80% onsite work. Vector Atomic adheres to all state and local ordinances regarding COVID-19 safety protocols.
Vector Atomic values teamwork, open and honest discourse, and work-life balance. We are an employee-owned company with competitive compensation and benefits including:
- Platinum-level family health coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Health and dependent care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Employer 401(k) contributions
- 20 days of paid time off & 10 paid holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Stock ownership plan
- Fully stocked kitchen
Vector Atomic is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by law.
Vector Atomic does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third-party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers or HR team.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Quantum sensors for navigation, telecommunications, and geophysical exploration