Controls Engineer (Mechatronics)
At Monarch, we’re leading the digital transformation of farming.
Monarch believes in putting farmers first. Our smart electric tractor enhances existing farm ecosystems. Monarch helps farmers by addressing labor availability, meeting consumer demands for sustainability, and providing actionable data-driven farming insights. Monarch enables economically competitive organic and beyond farming through intelligent electro-mechanical solutions that replace harmful chemicals. While driven by bleeding-edge technology, the Monarch Tractor still plows, tills, and hauls better than any other tractor in its class.
The Monarch Tractor will both spur and enable future generations of farming technologies. We have the technology and the team to develop, build, and scale the Monarch to digitally transform farming around the world.
About the role:
As a controls and firmware engineer, you will be responsible for delivering high quality embedded code running on the processors at the heart of our novel powertrain, implements, sensors, electrical distribution and hydraulic system.
Come join a team of deeply knowledgeable engineers that strive to build the most robust and reliable embedded systems that run game-changing farm equipment. You will solve some of the most challenging problems in the embedded software space and change the way we farm and deliver food.
- Experience in embedded development in robotics, real-time controls, or system software.
- Experience with motors, motor controllers, power supplies, inverters / converters, Hydraulic systems, and/or power electronics
- Fluent in Motion & control systems theory and physics
- Proficiency in C++, Real time operating systems (RTOS) and/or Matlab Simulink Coder
- Experience with CAN bus (e.g. J1939) and CAN bus diagnostics tools (e.g. Vector CANalyzer)
- Understanding of telematics, diagnostics, and calibration protocols (e.g. XCP)
- Exposure to ROS and Ethernet communication protocols
- Experience with communication protocols like USB, SPI, I2C, Ethernet, etc
- Fluent in software fundamentals including software design and maintainability.
- Experience with the embedded microprocessor tools.
- Controls software and algorithm development.
- Test driven development and familiarity with developer driven automated testing.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate complex technical concepts.
- Experience with physical modeling and/or simulation of electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic systems.
- BS, MS or PhD in EE/CE/CS, or the equivalent in experience with evidence of exceptional ability
- Mechatronic system design & analysis
- Sensor and actuator specification
- vendor selection and management
What you’ll get:
At Monarch Tractor, you’ll play a key role on a capable, dedicated, high-performing, mission-driven team. Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, excellent health, dental and vision benefits, and company equity commensurate with the role you’ll play in our success. The role will be based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
In addition to building outstanding products, we’re building an outstanding company with culture to match. Part of what we do is being in our element, which is being on the farm. We will be spending lots of time in Napa, Sonoma, Monterey and the central coast of California - perfecting our craft, mastering our environment, building our team camaraderie, and also taking time to enjoy the fruits of our labor.
At Monarch, we cherish and celebrate every individual's difference. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or another legally protected status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Making Sustainable Farming Economically Superior