Bioinformatics Software Engineer
At Apton Biosystems, we believe in the potential for higher throughput, higher quality, and lower cost molecular sequencing and profiling to dramatically accelerate biomedical research, improve clinical care, and unlock novel applications that are not possible with current generation technologies. We have re-
with our patented Super-ResTM imaging platform, which leverages high-speed optics, machine learning, and advanced physics
techniques for image transformation to evaluate molecules spaced closer than a wavelength of light.
Even more important than our scientific and technological innovations, Apton’s people are our biggest competitive advantage, and we are passionate about growing, fostering, and celebrating our world-class team.
As an engineer on our bioinformatics team, your first responsibility will be to develop a data visualization platform that will enable scientists to explore and interpret all facets of the high- throughput sequencing data produced by our instruments. You will lead the design and implementation of the scalable server and front-end components of the system, and you will play a key role in designing the data layer. You will also own the delivery of the platform as a key component of the commercial product.
Your work will involve close collaboration with our research and development team in a continuous feedback loop of improving experimental data quality. You will also work with other internal and external customers to understand their requirements.
As our team grows, you will help to define our processes and best practices, and you will assist with hiring, onboarding, and mentoring new team members.
You are a software engineer who is proficient in Python and has experience working with biological data (preferably NGS). You are excited about working in a dynamic environment where you will have a direct impact on the evolution and successful launch of a new technology with incredible potential to benefit human health and scientific research. You have an agile, flexible, creative mindset – you iterate quickly, you thrive on user feedback, and you can adapt to changing requirements and priorities because you stay focused on the end goal.
Your background may include some of these accomplishments – they are plusses in your favor, but not deal-breakers:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, or a related field
- Expertise in creating effective data visualizations
imagined the optical systems for sequencing and protein detection
- Experience with standard data science tools such as Jupyter, Pandas, and scikit-learn
- Working knowledge of one or more back-end/compiled languages (C#, C++)
- Experience with database systems and understanding of relational database concepts
- Data engineering experience – ETL, data cleaning, feature engineering, ML Ops
- Working knowledge of one or more cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP, DNAnexus)
- Experience with container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Strong software engineering skills – documentation, testing, git, CI/CD (we love seeing examples
- you’re particularly proud of)
- Demonstrated communication skills – scientific publications, conference presentations/posters,
- teaching/mentorship experience
- Flexible work environment: we prefer a candidate who will spend at least part of the week on site (Pleasanton, CA) but are open to other arrangements
- Base salary range: $150-200k, depending on experience
- Annual bonus
- Generous options package
- Competitive benefits
- Free food and regular social events
Is this role not an exact fit?
- If you don’t think you meet all the criteria for this position but still are interested in roles at Apton, please apply. Even if the right position isn’t available for you now, one may open as we continue to grow.
The Apton Story
- Since our founding in 2012, Apton Biosystems has developed expertise in super-resolution imaging optics and consumables aimed at RNA and DNA sequencing and single-molecule proteomics. Apton has raised venture funding from notable firms such as Khosla Ventures, Samsung Catalyst Fund, Co-Win Investments, Kern Capital, and Casdin Capital. We are headquartered in Pleasanton, California, and we also have offices in Bothell, Washington.
- Apton is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or based on an individual’s status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Apton encourages applications from historically underrepresented groups, women, the disabled, protected veterans, and all other qualified applicants.
Your application has been successfully submitted.